MultiTech Gateway Connection Issue

Hi,

I have a MultiTech gateway (00250C00010003A3) connection issue. It was reboot this morning but ever since we are not able to connect to the portal. Can you help?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

We have investigated this gateway and see that there has been no connection attempt to our network since mid morning. Can you please connect to the console of the gateway and verify there is IP connectivity to the Internet from the gateway? Please start with the following:

ifconfig -a (this should output the interface information, please verify that the eth0 interface has a correct IP for your network)
ping www.google.com and ping docs.senetco.io (Verify DNS resolution is operational from the gateway.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I have connectivity issue. The gateway seems to have valid IP (192.168.2.101) assigned to it but I’m unable to ping for some reasons. I’ll check our network connection.

Regards,
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback. Did the PING test resolve the IP but fail to ping successfully, if so that could indicate a firewall is blocking ICMP or did the name resolution fail altogether? A quick check of a few files will help to point you in the proper direction:

Issue the below command to review the interfaces file and ensure that the gateway is configured for DHCP vs a static IP configuration. Look for the line in bold below to confirm the gateway is configured for DHCP. Also, ensure that the IP the gateway is configured for is an IP on your local LAN.

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Wired interface

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Also, please make sure there that any static IP configuration lines are commented out with the # preceding the any static IP configuration lines (if configured for DHCP). We have seen in the past where a gateway was configured with both a static IP and DHCP at the same time.

#iface eth0 inet static
#address 192.168.2.1
#netmask 255.255.255.0

Verify the DNS configuration of the gateway. Assuming this is configured for DHCP you should have an entry similar to the below, although likely with an internal DNS server IP. Verify the IP is the correct DNS server IP for your network.

root@00-25-0C-00-01-00-00-2A:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I captured and attached the interfaces file (see attachment) from the gateway. Apparently, it is set to static IP for some reasons even though I originally configured for DHCP.

I edited the file for DHCP and reboot it. Hopefully, this would resolve my issue.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time to discuss over the phone. As a recap, this is an AEP conduit and the network configuration can only be updated through the web interface. Once the IP is updated, and the gateway is connected to the LAN we can then proceed to verify whether the Senet Packet Forwarder is still installed on the gateway.

Regards,
Mike