End-device stopped transmitting?

Hi,

We have some units after running for several hours stopped transmitting for some reasons. On one device, the uplink data stopped after a downlink message. I have attached the log for your review.

This issue is not seen on all devices as some are able to transmit data for several days without any issue. Would you please advise?

Thanks!
Charlie

Hi,

I started running another test on my device (Microchip RN2903A) yesterday afternoon and realized that this device stopped transmitting after about 13 hours. I checked my end-device and it’s still trying to transmit data but for some reasons not shown on the portal. The DevEUI of this particular device is 0004A30B00205EBD.

Can someone take a look at this device and give us some clue as to where the issue might be?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I am taking a look at your device now (0004A30B00205EBD) and it appears to have stopped transmitting at ~6:20 am EST after transmitting at one minute intervals for the past 13 hours. The gateway is still online and doesn’t appear to have any issues. Is it possible that your device is no longer receiving power, causing the sudden drop in communication?

Thanks,
Jake

Hi Jake,

The device is still receiving power from the supply the best I can tell. In fact, when I reset the device it would start to transmit again.

I can try a different power supply and rerun the test. Is there anything on the network management side where the device might be turned off?

Regards,
Charlie

In terms of the device, there is nothing on the network management side that can be used to turn it on/off. I do however see the device communicating every minute now beginning at 1:14 PM EST. Was this from the reset or did you swap out the power supply?

If it is not a power issue, it would appear that the device is simply timing out after an extended period of time as it does not appear to be an issue with the network or the conduit that the device is talking with.

Yes, I just swapped out the power supply and re-started the test few minutes ago. I will keep it running until the failure occurs, if there is any at all.

Thanks for confirming on the network side of it. I will let you know if there is any issue.

Thanks for the info Charlie.

Can you confirm the version of firmware that is running on your device? This may provide us with some more insight on the root cause of this issue.

If you are running your device in command mode, you can use the command below to print out the current firmware version:

‘sys get ver’

Thanks,
Jake W

Sure, the firmware version running on this particular device is 0.9.8 (RN2903A).

Please keep me posted for any update. Thanks!

Hi Charlie,

We have tested your current firmware and are aware of numerous issues related to that version. While we continue to investigate, we believe it would be best to update to the most recent version. There are known issues with the newest version as well, but it should provide you with a more stable testing environment.

I will continue to monitor your device and will keep you posted with any updates on our end.

Thanks,
Jake W

Hi Jake,

The same device I started re-testing yesterday stopped again after 16 hours. I will try the new firmware and test again.

Thanks for keeping me updated and please let me know if you have any finding. I will keep you posted on my new firmware testing as well.

Regards,
Charlie

Hi Jake,

I’ve been trying to restart the test with a different device (0004A30B0023D733) but have trouble joining the network for some strange reasons. I was having some success in the past with this particular device.

Can you check to see if you can see anything on your side?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I am looking at the device now. It appears to have a history of attempting to join to the network but is very rarely successful. Going back to the middle of September I am only seeing a handful of successful uplinks, and never more than one in a single session. Is this device running the newest version of firmware?

Thanks,
Jake W

Jake,

This device is running with the latest firmware (1.0.3). To the best of my knowledge, this is the latest firmware from MicroChip.

Charlie

Jake,

I have a question about the duty cycle setting on the device. My understanding is that it is configured by the server through the Duty Cycle Request frame. Question is, how is it configured by the server?

Thanks,
Charlie